Connect with us

World

North Korea defection: Soldier ‘walked across DMZ in fog’

A North Korean soldier has walked across the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) to defect, the South's mi..

A North Korean soldier has walked across the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) to defect, the South's military has said.

The "low-ranking" soldier emerged from thick fog at a checkpoint shortly after 08:00 (23:00 Wednesday) reported South Korean media.

No shots were fired during the incident and Seoul is now investigating the soldier's intentions, said South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff.

He is the fourth North Korean soldier to defect this year.

It comes weeks after one of the most dramatic defections in recent times.

In that incident, on 13 November, a soldier was shot as he fled across to the southern side of the Joint Security Area (JSA) in the village of Panmunjom.

South Korea's national broadcaster KBS said Thursday's defection occurred along the border in Gangwon province.

Very few North Korean defectors risk crossing to the South via the DMZ.

One of the world's most heavily guarded strips of land, the DMZ is a thin buffer zone dividing the two Koreas and is fortified on both sides with barbed wire, surveillance cameras, electric fencing and landmines.

Last month's defection saw a soldier drive a jeep right up to the border, in a dramatic escape captured on surveillance cameras.

Media playback is unsupported on your device

He ran across to the South in a hail of bullets from North Korean guards, who gave chase.

Shot five times, the soldier collapsed in a pile of leaves on the South's side, and was later rescued by South Korean soldiers.

His recovery, which included overcoming a bout of worm contamination of his wounds, has been closely tracked by South Korean media.

Original Article

BBC

The post North Korea defection: Soldier 'walked across DMZ in fog' appeared first on News Wire Now.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Over 21,000 People Killed since UN Global Ceasefire-Resolution

At least 21,347 people have been killed in conflict, including more than 5,800 civilian adults and c..

At least 21,347 people have been killed in conflict, including more than 5,800 civilian adults and children who were directly targeted[i], despite the adoption of a UN Security Council resolution calling for a global cessation of hostilities some 90 days ago. Instead of a ceasefire, allowing countries and humanitarian organisations to focus on battling the COVID-19 pandemic, ongoing violence is pushing millions to the brink of conflict-induced famine and hindering the battle against the outbreak. (more…)

Continue Reading

World

COVID-19 could reverse gains made for African children, warns Save the Children

The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to reverse progress made for children in Africa by years or even dec..

The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to reverse progress made for children in Africa by years or even decades, witheconomic aftershocks risking to push an additional 33 million children into poverty, according to Save the Children. (more…)

Continue Reading

World

COVID-19 threatening global peace and security, UN chief warns

Following are UN Secretary-General António Guterres remarks to the Security Council on the COVID-19 ..

Following are UN Secretary-General António Guterres remarks to the Security Council on the COVID-19 pandemic, in New York, today: (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending