Connect with us

World

Report: Palestinian Negotiator Urged Abbas to Dump Trump’s Draft Peace Plan

ABBAS MOMANI/AFP/Getty

byDeborah Danan21 Jan 20180

21 Jan, 201821 Jan, 2018

TEL AVIV – Senior Pal..

ABBAS MOMANI/AFP/Getty

byDeborah Danan21 Jan 20180

TEL AVIV – Senior Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat has urged Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas to reject a peace plan presented by the Trump administration, Israeli media reported over the weekend.

Saeb Erekat briefed Abbas on a 92-page document detailing the U.S.’s plan for an independent but demilitarized Palestinian state in which Israel would be in charge of overseeing the West Bank from a security perspective and would keep 10 percent of West Bank territory, Channel 10 reported on Friday. The final borders of a Palestinian state would be negotiated between Israel and the Palestinians, the report said.

A Palestinian capital would be established in the suburbs of Jerusalem – in all likelihood in the West Bank town of Abu Dis.

Erekat advised the PA president to reject the deal outright, the report said, saying the U.S. had no right to “impose dictates” on how a Palestinian state should look.

The plan would give the Palestinians limited control over areas of Ben Gurion Airport and Israeli sea ports of Ashdod and Haifa, but Israel would maintain security control.

“We have no reason to wait for an American plan that in practice will keep the status quo in place and give American legitimacy to settlements while establishing an eternal autonomy” rather than a fully independent state, the report quoted Erekat telling Abbas in his briefing.

The deal also outlined a “just solution” for Palestinian refugees to return to the newly formed state of Palestine, but there would be no “right of return” for refugees to settle in Israel.

However, White House officials told Channel 10 that the details Erekat mentioned in his briefing were erroneous. They added that it was unfortunate that people were trying to incite the Palestinians against the deal, which had not even undergone a final draft.

Last week, Abbas, in apparent reaction to Erekat’s briefing, said that the Trump administration’s deal was “a slap in the face” for the Palestinians and he cursed out the U.S. chief executive by wishing “ruin upon his house.”

“We told Trump we will not accept his project, the ‘deal of the century,’ which has become the ‘slap of the century,’” said Abbas.

“But we will slap back,” he vowed.

Abbas slung a popular Arabic curse at Trump in response to the American president’s threat to cut U.S. aid to the Palestinians if they “spread lies about the U.S.”

“May your house come to ruin,” Abbas said, espousing an Arabic epithet.

Original Article

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World

Over 21,000 People Killed since UN Global Ceasefire-Resolution

At least 21,347 people have been killed in conflict, including more than 5,800 civilian adults and c..

At least 21,347 people have been killed in conflict, including more than 5,800 civilian adults and children who were directly targeted[i], despite the adoption of a UN Security Council resolution calling for a global cessation of hostilities some 90 days ago. Instead of a ceasefire, allowing countries and humanitarian organisations to focus on battling the COVID-19 pandemic, ongoing violence is pushing millions to the brink of conflict-induced famine and hindering the battle against the outbreak. (more…)

Continue Reading

World

COVID-19 could reverse gains made for African children, warns Save the Children

The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to reverse progress made for children in Africa by years or even dec..

The COVID-19 pandemic threatens to reverse progress made for children in Africa by years or even decades, witheconomic aftershocks risking to push an additional 33 million children into poverty, according to Save the Children. (more…)

Continue Reading

World

COVID-19 threatening global peace and security, UN chief warns

Following are UN Secretary-General António Guterres remarks to the Security Council on the COVID-19 ..

Following are UN Secretary-General António Guterres remarks to the Security Council on the COVID-19 pandemic, in New York, today: (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending