BBC presenter John Humphrys has said he will be earning "hugely less" after agreeing to take a pay cut.
The Today programme and Mastermind host was paid between £600,000 and £649,999 in 2016/17.
He's one of six male stars who have agreed to earn less after revelations about differences between men's and women's pay at the corporation.
He refused to confirm exactly how much he'll lose but it is thought he will earn roughly half what he did before.
Huw Edwards, Nicky Campbell, Jon Sopel, Nick Robinson and Jeremy Vine have also accepted reduced wages, the BBC said.
The move comes after the BBC revealed the pay of on-air talent earning over £150,000 in July. Two-thirds of stars on the list, including the top seven earners, were men.
Earlier this month, Carrie Gracie resigned as BBC China editor in protest at unequal pay between male and female international editors.
Speaking about his salary, Humphrys said it "seemed fair" for him to take a pay cut.
Asked by BBC media correspondent David Sillito whether he was happy to have his salary cut in half, he replied that the new amount was "not exactly a pathetically low salary".
He said: "Most people listening to this would probably say, 'He's not worth even that, is he?'
"It's still a lot of money. A lot less than it was, which just goes to show that what I was earning was a very large amount of money, and it seems, as I say, entirely fair to take rather less."
The BBC did not comment on how much the six presenters would now receive.
Humphrys was recently criticised for an off-air conversation with Jon Sopel, the BBC's North America editor, who earned £200,000-£249,999 in 2016/17, compared with Carrie Gracie's £135,000-a-year.
In their exchange, Humphrys reportedly asked Sopel about "how much of your salary you are prepared to hand over to Carrie Gracie to keep her".
He then referred to "other men who are earning too much" at the BBC.
Asked about the conversation, which took place when Humphrys was preparing to interview Sopel for Radio 4's Today programme, Humphrys said the pair were "having a bit of a joke".
He said: "It was four o'clock in the morning, I was having a joke with an old friend, and we were exchanging our usual insults, which is the sort of thing if you've known someone for a very long time.
"We were taking the mickey out of each other. Not out of Carrie Gracie or any women. It was a not a gender-based discussion.
"It wasn't a discussion. It was about 90 seconds of badinage, winding each other up, the type of thing I've done with Sopel 1,000 times. But this time somebody was recording it and it was fed to people outside the BBC."
A BBC statement on the pay cuts said: "We are very grateful to Huw Edwards, Nicky Campbell, John Humphrys, Jon Sopel, Nick Robinson and Jeremy Vine, who have agreed that their pay will now be reduced.
"These are great journalists and presenters, who have a real connection with the audience. We are proud to have them working at the BBC.
"The final details of some of these changes are still being discussed, and there are further conversations that the BBC will have with others in due course."
An independent audit into equal pay at the BBC will be published next week.
After leaving her post as China editor, Gracie is now returning to the BBC newsroom in London, saying she expects to be "paid equally".
On Wednesday, she will discuss the topic before a select committee of MPs, shortly before director general of the BBC Tony Hall, his deputy Anne Bulford and director of news and current affairs Fran Unsworth.
There have been three investigations into gender pay at the BBC:
- A report was published in October, in line with a requirement on all large organisations. It found the gender pay gap at the BBC was 9.3%, against a national average of 18.1%
- A judge-led audit of equal pay among rank-and-file staff published at the same time found there was "no question of any systemic gender discrimination"
- A review into the BBC's approach to the pay of on-air presenters, editors and correspondents is due to be published next week
Lord Hall has previously pledged to close the gap by 2020, saying the corporation should be "an exemplar of what can be achieved when it comes to pay, fairness, gender and representation".
007 film must treat Bond girls properly, says Waller-Bridge
Fast cars, martinis and Bond girls are core parts of the formula for 007 films, but one of those ele..
Fast cars, martinis and Bond girls are core parts of the formula for 007 films, but one of those elements is set for a change in the latest adventure.
Fleabag creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge, who is working on the script for the 25th Bond film, is on a mission to make sure the movie will "treat women properly" – even if the spy does not.
Ahead of the release of the as-yet-untitled film, Waller-Bridge told Deadline: "There's been a lot of talk about whether or not (the Bond franchise) is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women.
"I think that's b*******. I think he's absolutely relevant now. It has just got to grow.
"It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly.
"He doesn't have to. He needs to be true to this character."
Waller-Bridge says she intends to ensure the female characters, including those played by Lashana Lynch, Lea Seydoux and Ana de Armas, feel "like real people ".
More from Phoebe Waller-bridge
She added: "I just want to make sure that when they get those pages through, that Lashana, Lea and Ana open them and go, 'I can't wait to do that'.
Sir Elton hits out at Russia for ‘cruel’ Rocketman censorship
Sir Elton John has criticised Russian censors for cutting gay sex scenes from the hit musical biopic..
Sir Elton John has criticised Russian censors for cutting gay sex scenes from the hit musical biopic Rocketman.
The critically acclaimed film charts the British singer's rise to fame, and its scenes of kissing and sex between men, as well as drug use, contributed to it earning a 15 certificate in the UK.
But in a bid to play down the sexuality of Sir Elton, played by actor Taron Egerton, for a conservative Russian audience, an estimated five minutes of footage was reportedly removed ahead of its debut in Moscow.
The Moscow Times quoted a Russian film critic who had seen the film at its world premiere in Cannes on 16 May as saying "all scenes with kissing, sex and oral sex between men have been cut", as well as a photo displayed during the end credits featuring Sir Elton and his husband David Furnish.
Sir Elton, 72, a prominent gay rights campaigner, released a joint statement with the makers of the film to accuse censors of being "cruelly unaccepting of the love between two people".
"We reject in the strongest possible terms the decision to pander to local laws and censor Rocketman for the Russian market, a move we were unaware of until today," they said.
"That the local distributor has edited out certain scenes, denying the audience the opportunity to see the film as it was intended, is a sad reflection of the divided world we still live in and how it can still be so cruelly unaccepting of the love between two people.
More from Elton John
"We believe in building bridges and open dialogue, and will continue to pushRead More – Source
Ben Affleck steps out to drop off kids as Robert Pattinson is announced as new Batman
Ben Affleck played Batman until earlier this year (Picture: Backgrid)
Ben Affleck has been pictured ..
Ben Affleck has been pictured performing his parental duties in Los Angeles, as his official replacement in the Batman role is announced.
The 46-year-old actor was seen in the early hours on Friday (31 May) dropping off son Samuel, seven, and daughter Seraphina, 10, to school.
Affleck has three children with ex-wife Jennifer Garner – Seraphina, Samuel and 13-year-old Violet.
On the same day the actor was pictured, it was announced Robert Pattinson will take over as Batman in a planned trilogy of movies with director Matt Reeves.
Affleck, who played Bruce Wayne in Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice and 2017s Justice League, stepped down from the role in January earlier this year – after being originally down to direct and star in his own film.
More: Ben Affleck
Speaking about his departure in March, Affleck stated how he was never happy with the script they were planning to use.
We worked on the script, I was trying to figure out how to cRead More – Source
Australia3 years ago
Button and Diane Powellpark the school bus after three decades
Australia3 years ago
60th Annual Louth Cup 2018 | Photos
Australia3 years ago
A good attendance for planning ahead
Australia4 years ago
Severe, unusual weather likely to cause damage
Australia3 years ago
Ten ways to scrap plastic without breaking the bank
World4 years ago
Сhinese navy jets master daring night maneuvers on aircraft carrier (VIDEO)
World3 years ago
Know-how: Canadian hospital first to сure patients with virtual reality
fun4 years ago
Will Gompertz reviews Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical Hamilton ★★★★★