Connect with us

Enviroment

Rebel Wilson tells The Project the Bauer Media appeal has been ‘awful’

“This is a huge media organisation owned by German billionaires. Which means they can afford to pay,..

"This is a huge media organisation owned by German billionaires. Which means they can afford to pay, by the way. And they kind of bullied and intimidated me, they didn't want me to sue them publicly. I felt like it was the right thing to do.

"And personally because I feel that this was also the right thing to do, to give the money to charity, to turn something that was really, really hurtful and devastating to myself, if I can somehow give back to Australians, I can turn it into a positive thing."

Rebel Wilson talking about her court case on The Project.

Photo: Ten

She had earlier joked that she had been in such a rush to get to the studios that she only "changed my dress, not my underwear".

Ms Wilson has appeared on Channel Ten because, in her words, it was the only Australian media company not trying to sue her.

Rebel Wilson still managed to crack jokes on The Project after an 'exhausting' day in court.

Photo: Ten

When asked by Project host Carrie Bickmore if she ever felt stressed about coming home to Australia, Ms Wilson replied that she did.

"That's especially when all of the major media organisations except for Channel Ten, which was the only sensible one, tried to join in the case against me. Purely because of corporate greed and they don't want to take responsibility when they make mistakes.

"That is awful. It's not a great feeling.

"I know a lot of Australian celebrities have been driven out of Australia because of negative treatment by the media. That's sad, because Australia is an awesome country."

She had revealed after court on Wednesday that singer Taylor Swift had congratulated her over her defamation win at Ruby Rose's birthday party. She told The Project that the reaction from other celebrities had been "incredible".

"So many high profile and not high profile people have had crap written about them," she said. "It's really hard to bring a court case; it's taxing, it involves your whole family, you have to be in court. It's very, very expensive and I just thought I was uniquely suited to do it because I do have a law degree.

"A lot of people don't know [that], they think I'm a bit stupid. But I do. I went to university and I had such a great case. I was uniquely suited to bring this. I think that set a great precedent for other celebrities."

She said while her reputation had been restored, she was in Australia to make sure she got as much money for charity as possible and she believed the Court of Appeal would get it right.

As to her ongoing feeling about the media, Ms Wilson said the appeal wouldn't stop her from promoting her ongoing movie projects.

"It was hard when it seemed for a second the whole Australian media apart from Channel Ten was trying to sue me. But to me you can't take it personally," she said. "It's more about I have set this huge precedent and they're unhappy.

"So many journalists do great stories, honest, good people. So yes, so you've got to balance it up. You know, I love telling people about my projects and what I have happening. You have to get out there."

Ms Wilson earlier told the show she was producing a remake of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, called The Hustle, which starred herself and Anne Hathaway. And she was also playing LeFou in the stage musical of Beauty and The Beast at the Hollywood Bowl next month.

Comedian and Project host Peter Helliar suggested after her plug of Channel Ten she could also be the next Bachelorette.

"I wouldn't mind that," said Ms Wilson. "I was chatting to Sophie Monk about that. I watched every episode of her season fricken' because I'm the same age as her. I have the same problems as her."

After earlier admitting to being a huge fan of newly-single Jurassic World star Chris Pratt, Bickmore joked: "We can't guarantee Chris Pratt will be in there though. We'll try."

"Channing Tatum?" suggested Ms Wilson hopefully.

Comments disabled

Aja Styles

Aja Styles is a passionate and dedicated writer who specialised in courts and crime during her stint with WAToday.com.au. Since moving to theage.com.au in 2012, she's taken on varied duties in reporting, home page editing and in sections, before commencing her current role in 2013.

Morning & Afternoon Newsletter

Delivered Mon–Fri.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Enviroment

So, we guess this means Beyonce and Jay-Z are OK then

The first couple of pop music took the world by surprise by dropping their first album together last..

The first couple of pop music took the world by surprise by dropping their first album together last weekend. As you'd expect, it's a statement.

There is arguably no couple better at controlling their own press than Beyonce and Jay-Z. When a video surfaced in 2014 showing Bey's younger sister Solange attacking her brother-in-law in an elevator, rumours of a strained marriage proliferated.

Rather than battle the tabloids, the spouses used the gossip to fuel the creation of two critically beloved, commercially successful records: Beyonce's Lemonade and Jay-Z's 4:44. And, in them, they offered just as many details about their private lives as they chose.

Beyonce and Jay-Z on stage in France for the 2014 On the Run tour.

Photo: Rob Hoffman

Now the couple have continued their domination of pop music, surprising the world last Saturday by releasing their joint album Everything Is Love, which is something of a sequel to those two solo records. Though they have collaborated for at least 15 years, this marks their first joint album, which they dropped under the name The Carters.

The record is a victory lap from a couple who have mined their relationship for universal truths and then presented them as art. It's a fierce love letter to success, to family, to blackness – but, most of all, to each other.

Artwork for the album Everything is Love by The Carters, aka Beyonce and Jay-Z.

Photo: Karl Quinn

Advertisement

Lyrically, it primarily focuses on two aspects of the Carters' lives: their marriage and their success. (more…)

Continue Reading

Enviroment

Rachel Griffiths: female characters are finally getting real on screen

Almost a year into the #MeToo era, Rachel Griffiths believes the likes of Mystery Road, Wentworth, P..

Almost a year into the #MeToo era, Rachel Griffiths believes the likes of Mystery Road, Wentworth, Picnic at Hanging Rock and Top of the Lake show that female characters are finally coming of age on Australian screens.

In a spirited speech at the launch of a new state government scheme to support more women directors in television, the actor-turned-director said it was exciting to see female characters move beyond "the typical tropes of 'likable, f—able, adorable'" to "more complex depictions of female experience" recently.

Happy to see "more complex depictions of female experience": Rachel Griffiths (left) with Leah Purcell at the launch of #SheDirects.

Photo: Louie Douvis

While she acknowledged there were male directors who created fresh and compelling women characters, Griffiths said the "male gaze" often reduced them to colouring the characters of their male counterparts.

"[They are created to] make him hot, make him authentic, make him empathetic, make him fatherly, make him conflicted, make him grieve," she said. "In the male gaze, we are so often not the gatekeepers; we're not the ferryman. Sometimes the mentor but usually only ironically, like Judi Dench's M…

"Under-written and under-observed, brought into our sexual awareness precociously and prepubescent in order to accommodate the male libido.

Advertisement

"Often in television we're used by lazy writers and producers who can think of nothing more interesting this week than 'let's have her have sex with X' or 'discover she's a lesbian – for an episode'."

Griffiths, who is about to begin editing the Melbourne Cup drama Ride Like A Girl after finishing the shoot, endorsed Hollywood star Sandra Bullock's recent comment that it was time for women to "stop being polite" about gender equality. (more…)

Continue Reading

Enviroment

Rachel Maddow breaks down on air over Trump immigration policy

US television host Rachel Maddow has broken down on live air as she delivered the latest development..

US television host Rachel Maddow has broken down on live air as she delivered the latest developments in the Trump administration's controversial "zero tolerance" immigration policy.

Maddow, who hosts her own show on MSNBC, was reading from a breaking news release from the Associated Press that revealed government officials have been sending babies and toddlers to what are being called "tender age" shelters in the US.

The youngsters are some of the 2,300 children who have been forcibly separated from their parents at the US-Mexico border since the White House announced a zero-tolerance policy on migrant families in May.

"The AP has just broken some new news," Maddow started.

"Um, this has just come out from the Associated Press, this is incredible. Trump administration have been sending babies and other young children – oh, hold on," she said, her voice breaking.

Advertisement

Maddow attempted to get through the breaking news piece one more time before moving the show over to a guest. "To at least three – three tender age shelters in South Texas. Lawyers and medical providers… I think I'm going to have to hand this off. Sorry."

Maddow took to Twitter shortly after the segment aired to say sorry to her viewers. "Again, I apologise for losing it there for a moment," she wrote. "Not the way I intended that to go, not by a mile."

She also tweeted out what she had been trying to say in her live read, writing out what was presented in the AP story. "Lawyers and medical providers who have visited the "tender age" shelters described play rooms of crying preschool-age children in crisis…" she wrote.

"Decades after the nations child welfare system ended the use of orphanages over concerns about the lasting trauma to children, the administration is standing up new institutions to hold Central American toddlers that the government separated from their parents." (more…)

Continue Reading

Trending