Connect with us

Australia

Pre-poll voting period could face review

The early-voting period is expected to be reviewed with senior figures on both sides of politics questioning if three weeks is too long. Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the early-voting period made it hard for MPs holding portfolio responsibilities to cover their electorates as well as other parts of the country. “It does feel a bit long, three weeks,” he told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday. “That's an issue that will probably be revisited by both sides of politics after this election.” READ ALSO: Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said he wanted to focus on convincing people to vote Labor “We can review these things after an election but my focus is on the election,” he told reporters in Geelong. “One of the themes that is leading to early pre-poll activity is a mood for change. ” Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese said the length of pre-poll voting should be reviewed. “I would have thought that needs to be looked at,” Mr Albanese told Sky News. “I think pre-poll voting is very va..

The early-voting period is expected to be reviewed with senior figures on both sides of politics questioning if three weeks is too long. Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the early-voting period made it hard for MPs holding portfolio responsibilities to cover their electorates as well as other parts of the country. "It does feel a bit long, three weeks," he told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday. "That's an issue that will probably be revisited by both sides of politics after this election." READ ALSO: Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said he wanted to focus on convincing people to vote Labor "We can review these things after an election but my focus is on the election," he told reporters in Geelong. "One of the themes that is leading to early pre-poll activity is a mood for change. " Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese said the length of pre-poll voting should be reviewed. "I would have thought that needs to be looked at," Mr Albanese told Sky News. "I think pre-poll voting is very valuable but three weeks is a very, very long time." He said up to two million people may vote before the coalition's official campaign launch on Sunday in Melbourne. "We only had our launch on Sunday. The government is still trying to find some policies to launch next Sunday," he said. Earlier in the week, independent MP Kerryn Phelps said people voting in the final week were doing so under different circumstances to when early voting opens. "We need to look at that. Is that what we really want to see? Or should it really be compressed into a week and perhaps some postal voting," she said. In 2007, pre-poll votes excluding postal votes were 8.2 per cent, rising to 22.7 per cent in 2016. Adding postals, the early voting figure for 2007 rose to 13 per cent, while in 2016 it was 31 per cent. A record 16.4 million Australians are enrolled to vote at this election with polls to close on May 18. Australian Associated Press

The early-voting period is expected to be reviewed with senior figures on both sides of politics questioning if three weeks is too long.

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the early-voting period made it hard for MPs holding portfolio responsibilities to cover their electorates as well as other parts of the country.

"It does feel a bit long, three weeks," he told reporters in Melbourne on Tuesday.

"That's an issue that will probably be revisited by both sides of politics after this election."

READ ALSO:

Opposition Leader Bill Shorten said he wanted to focus on convincing people to vote Labor

"We can review these things after an election but my focus is on the election," he told reporters in Geelong.

"One of the themes that is leading to early pre-poll activity is a mood for change. "

Labor frontbencher Anthony Albanese said the length of pre-poll voting should be reviewed.

"I would have thought that needs to be looked at," Mr Albanese told Sky News.

"I think pre-poll voting is very valuable but three weeks is a very, very long time."

He said up to two million people may vote before the coalition's official caRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

Margaret River Mail

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Continue Reading

Australia

Prosecution proceedings commenced against Moolarben Coal

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal. The release is in full below: The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee. The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules. The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here. The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for fai..

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal. The release is in full below: The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee. The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules. The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here. The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for failing to comply with duties imposed under sections 19 and 28 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011. The alleged offences have a maximum penalty of $1,500,000 in the case of Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and $300,000 in the case of the worker. The matters are set down for first mention in the NSW District Court on 24 June 2019. As the matter is now before the Court, further details will not be released. Owners of Moolarben Coal, Yancoal, have made the following response. "Yancoal is considering its position in relation to this matter," a spokesman said. "Given that the matter is the subject of legal proceedings, it is inappropriate for Yancoal to comment further." Read more:

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal.

The release is in full below:

The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee.

The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules.

The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here.

The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for failing to comply with duties imposed under sectionRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

Nyngan Observer

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Continue Reading

Australia

Jimmy Barnes including Central West on new tour schedule

AUSTRALIA'S most well known Working Class Man is coming to the Central West in November as part of his new tour. The 18-date tour will wind its way around Australia and New Zealand before arriving in Tullamore, near Dubbo, on November 2. Barnsey will be taking to the stage in Tullamore with special guest Troy Cassar-Daley who wrote Jimmy's latest hit Shutting Down Our Town. READ MORE: Jimmy wows crowds in Central West during his last visit The tour, called Shutting Down Your Town, will see Barnsey playing all his classic hits from his acclaimed new album, My Criminal Record, that is due for release on May 31. His tour will commence in mid September, with tickets to all shows on sale to the general public on Friday, May 31. VIDEO: Jimmy Barnes' new song Shutting Down Our Town Members of Jimmy's mailing list will get pre-sale access from Wednesday, May 29. Barnes is the heart and soul of Australian rock and roll and during years his bestselling memoirs Working Class B..

AUSTRALIA'S most well known Working Class Man is coming to the Central West in November as part of his new tour. The 18-date tour will wind its way around Australia and New Zealand before arriving in Tullamore, near Dubbo, on November 2. Barnsey will be taking to the stage in Tullamore with special guest Troy Cassar-Daley who wrote Jimmy's latest hit Shutting Down Our Town. READ MORE: Jimmy wows crowds in Central West during his last visit The tour, called Shutting Down Your Town, will see Barnsey playing all his classic hits from his acclaimed new album, My Criminal Record, that is due for release on May 31. His tour will commence in mid September, with tickets to all shows on sale to the general public on Friday, May 31. VIDEO: Jimmy Barnes' new song Shutting Down Our Town Members of Jimmy's mailing list will get pre-sale access from Wednesday, May 29. Barnes is the heart and soul of Australian rock and roll and during years his bestselling memoirs Working Class Boy and Working Class Man, and their accompanying sold-out theatre tours, have struck a deep chord across his homeland. READ ALSO: Exclusive – parents fined for sending kids to school just eight days out of 48 Now it's time to finally return to what he loves most – electrifying audiences with one of the greatest catalogues in the history of Australian rock with the Shutting Down Your Town tour featuring Cold Chisel anthems, solo classics like Working Class Man and Ain't No Second Prize plus his current radio hit, Shutting Down Our Town. His new album, My Criminal Record, has distilled and expanded upon his two best-selling memoirs to create 13 pieces of burning, heartland rock and roll. It will resonate with anyone who has ever found themselves standing on the outside, looking in. VIDEO: Jimmy Barnes during his book-signing visit in Bathurst Shutting Down Our Town was written by Troy Cassar-Daley especially for Barnes, after Troy finished reading Working Class Boy. "It's been 10 years since I made an original rock record and I can't wait to get out there and play these songs, along with all the old favourites, to a live audience. It's going to be great," Jimmy said. READ ALSO: Sawn-off shotgun discovery leads to 18-month jail sentence Fans are reminded to only buy tickets by following the direct ticket links listed here. People who choose to ignore this clear advice and who instead use search engines like Google to find tickets typically get steered to unofficial reselling sites like Viagogo that often lead to rip offs.

AUSTRALIA'S most well known Working Class Man is coming to the Central West in November as part of his new tour.

The 18-date tour will wind its way around Australia and New Zealand before arriving in Tullamore, near Dubbo, on November 2.

Barnsey will be taking to the stage in Tullamore with special guest Troy Cassar-Daley who wrote Jimmy's latest hit Shutting Down Our Town.

The tour, called Shutting Down Your Town, will see Barnsey playing all his classic hits from his acclaimed new album, My Criminal Record, that is due for release on May 31.

His tour will commence in mid September, with tickets to all shows on sale to the general public on Friday, May 31.

VIDEO: Jimmy Barnes' new song Shutting Down Our Town

Members of Jimmy's mailing list will get pre-sale access from Wednesday, May 29.

Barnes is the heart and soul of Australian rock and roll and during years his bestselling memoirs Working Class Boy and Working Class Man, and their accompanying sold-out theatre tours, have struck a deep chord across his homeland.

Now it's time to finally return to what he loves most – eleRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

Nyngan Observer

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Continue Reading

Australia

Prosecution proceedings commenced against Moolarben Coal

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal. The release is in full below: The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee. The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules. The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here. The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for fai..

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal. The release is in full below: The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee. The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules. The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here. The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for failing to comply with duties imposed under sections 19 and 28 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011. The alleged offences have a maximum penalty of $1,500,000 in the case of Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and $300,000 in the case of the worker. The matters are set down for first mention in the NSW District Court on 24 June 2019. As the matter is now before the Court, further details will not be released. Owners of Moolarben Coal, Yancoal, have made the following response. "Yancoal is considering its position in relation to this matter," a spokesman said. "Given that the matter is the subject of legal proceedings, it is inappropriate for Yancoal to comment further." Read more:

In an announcement from the NSW Government office of Planning and Environment it has been revealed that the NSW Resources Regulator will take court action against major mine employer in the Mudgee region, Moolarben Coal.

The release is in full below:

The NSW Resources Regulator has commenced prosecution proceedings against Moolarben Coal Operations Pty Ltd and one of its former contract workers for alleged contraventions of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 in relation to a dangerous shot firing incident at the Moolarben Coal Mine near Mudgee.

The Regulator will allege that, on 17 May 2017, six workers were exposed to a risk of death or serious injury when flyrock from mine blasting activities landed near the workers, located within the mine's prescribed 500 metre personnel exclusion zone – a breach of the mine's blasting rules.

The Resources Regulator's investigation report into the incident can be found here.

The Regulator has commenced Category 2 proceedings for failing to comply with duties imposed under sectionRead More – Source

[contf]
[contfnew]

Nyngan Observer

[contfnewc]
[contfnewc]

Continue Reading

Trending