Connect with us

Europe

Ukraine hostages: Police negotiating with armed man holding 10 people on bus in Lutsk

About 10 people are currently being held hostage by an armed man who took over a passenger bus in th..

About 10 people are currently being held hostage by an armed man who took over a passenger bus in the western Ukrainian city of Lutsk, Ukraine’s Security Service said in a Facebook statement. Police earlier had put the number at 20. It was unclear how many people had been on board to start with, and whether any escaped.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky called the situation “alarming” on Facebook and said there had been reports of gunshots.

Police said in a video statement posted on Facebook they did not yet have any information about possible casualties and “can only see mechanical damage to the bus.”

The centre of Lutsk has been sealed off to the public.

Eyewitness Vitalik Troszyk told Euronews he had heard “something like a gunshot” at 1.43 p.m. local time and that police were expanding the cordon, moving people back from the area.

What do we know about the hostage-taker?

Police earlier said they have identified the suspect who called them at 9.25 a.m. local time after taking over the bus and told them he has “explosives and arms” and “posted demands on twitter.”

“His identity has been established, he is a 44-year-old resident of Rivne region,” the police said in a press release on Tuesday afternoon.

Authorities said they had checked the Twitter account associated with the name the suspect initially gave but they had not found any demands “just general discontent about the system.”

Deputy Interior Minister Anton Gerashchenko said on a Facebook post that the man introduced himself as Maksim Plokhoy. This surname translates from the Russian as ‘bad’.

Euronews found a Twitter account associated with the name Maksim Plokhoy, which has now been removed from the platform and can no longer be accessed.

In a statement to Euronews, Twitter said it had permanently deleted the account because it violated the platform’s rules.

There were tweets with demands and messages to journalists posted on this account.

The Twitter account linked to a YouTube channel which has also been taken down.

In a later post, Gerashchenko said the suspect’s name is Krivosh Maxim Stepanovich, a Ukrainian citizen originating from the town of Gay in Orenburg Oblast, Russia. The birthdate Gerashchenko listed makes the individual 44-years-old, which tallies with the police statement.

He claimed the individual has previous convictions for robbery, extortion and fraud.

Police added that law enforcement officers were negotiating with the man but that his demands did not contain any specifics.

Who is on the scene?

Special forces have arrived in Lutsk and there are police officers on the scene “who are able to perform the task of neutralising criminals,” head of police in the Volyn region, Yuriy Kroshko, said in a statement.

“Law enforcement officers are doing everything necessary to ensure that this crisis ends with the release of hostages,” Gerashchenko said in the Facebook post. “The priority is a dialogue with the hostage-taker.”

Police have opened a criminal investigation into the hostage-taking.

Ukraine’s Interior Minister Arsen Avakov is reportedly on his way to the Volyn region.

This is a developing story.


YOU MI

Read from source





Continue Reading

Europe

Tens of thousands protest in Belarus despite police detentions

Issued on: 27/09/2020 – 20:45

About 100,000 demonstrators marched in the Belarusian capital callin..

Issued on:

About 100,000 demonstrators marched in the Belarusian capital calling for the authoritarian presidents ouster, some wearing cardboard crowns to ridicule him, on Sunday as the protests that have rocked the country marked their 50th consecutive day.

Advertising Read more

Protests also took place in nine other cities, underlining the wide extent of dismay and anger with President Alexander Lukashenko, who has stifled opposition and independent news media during 26 years in power.

The protest wave began after the Aug. 9 presidential election that officials said gave Lukashenko a sixth term in office with a crushing 80% of the vote. The opposition and some poll workers say the results were manipulated.

Lukashenko has defied calls for him to step down and many prominent members of a council formed with the aim of arranging a transfer of power have been arrested or have fled the country. The protests have persisted despite the daily detentions of demonstrators.

The Interior Ministry said about 200 demonstrators were arrested throughout the country Sunday. Police and troops blocked off the center of the city with armored vehicles and water cannons.

Luksahenko stepped up his defiance this week by unexpectedly taking the oath of office for a new term in an unannounced ceremony, leading many to mock him as harboring royal-like pretensions.

Some of the estimated 100,000 people who braved rain and strong winds to march in a two-kilometer-long (over a mile-long) column wore crowns made of cardboard and bore placards calling him “the naked king.”

Lukashenko's main election opponent, Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya, praised protesters' determination and urged them not to let their energies flag.

“Today is the 50th day of our protest and the Belarusian people have again come out on the streets,” she said in a statement from Lithuania, where she went into exile after the election. “We have come to stop this regime and we will do this peacefully.”

“Democracy Read More – Source

Continue Reading

Europe

‘Lukashenko has to go,’ says France’s Macron

Issued on: 27/09/2020 – 08:13

French President Emmanuel Macron said Sunday that Belarus's lea..

Issued on:

French President Emmanuel Macron said Sunday that Belarus's leader Alexander Lukashenko must step down, after the EU refused to recognise him as the legitimate president of the ex-Soviet country.

Advertising Read more

"It's clear he has to go," Macron told French weekly the Journal du Dimanche ahead of a trip to EU states Lithuania and Latvia, which border Belarus.

"It is a crisis of power, an authoritarian power that cannot accept the logic of democracy and which is hanging on by force. It is clear that Lukashenko has to go."

Tens of thousands of people have taken to the streets in Belarus since August 9 elections which opposition leader Svetlana Tikhanovskaya says she won, despite Lukashenko's insistence he took a landslide victory.

The embattled leader has launched a brutal crackdown against the protesters — drawing condemnation from the West, but support from Moscow.

This week he triggered new demonstrations and fresh Western criticism when he held a secret inauguration for himself.

Macron on Sunday said he had been "impressed by the courage of the protesters".

"They know the risks they are taking by demonstrating every weekend, and yet, they are pushing forward with the movement to make democracy come alive in this country that has been deprived of it for so long," he said.

"Women in particular, who march every Saturday, command our respect," he added.

More than 90 people — most of them women — were arrested on Saturday at opposition rallies, according to one NGO.

Russia's role

Fresh protests were sparked by the surprise announcement on Wednesday that Lukashenko had been sworn in for a sixth term in office.

The European Union said the strongman's inauguration lacked "democratic legitimacy" and refused to recognise him as president.

The bloc has said it is reviewing relations with Belarus, with the issue to be debated at an EU summit on Thursday and Friday in Brussels.

EU ministers decided in principle last month to impose sanctions against the regime — but Cyprus has been blocking approval until the group agrees similar measures against Turkey over gas exploration in the eastern Mediterranean.

Meanwhile, Baltic EU states Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia have expanded their own sanctions against Belarus.

Macron sets off on MRead More – Source

Continue Reading

Europe

Coronavirus deaths could reach 2 million, WHO warns

Issued on: 26/09/2020 – 07:46

The global death toll from COVID-19 could double to 2 million before..

Issued on:

The global death toll from COVID-19 could double to 2 million before a successful vaccine is widely used and could be even higher without concerted action to curb the pandemic, an official at the World Health Organization said on Friday.

Advertising Read more

"Unless we do it all, (2 million deaths) … is not only imaginable, but sadly very likely," Mike Ryan, head of the U.N. agency's emergencies programme, told a briefing on Friday.

The number of deaths about nine months since the novel coronavirus was discovered in China is nearing 1 million.

"We are not out of the woods anywhere, we are not out of the woods in Africa," said Ryan.

He said young people should not be blamed for a recent increase in infections despite growing concerns that they are driving its spread after restrictions and lockdowns were eased around the world.

"I really hope we don't get into finger wagging: it's all because of the youth," said Ryan. "The last thing a young person needs is an old person pontificating and wagging the finger."

Rather, indoor gatherings of people of all ages were driving the epidemic, he said.

The WHO is continuing talks with China about its possible involvement in the COVAX financing scheme designed to guarantee fast and equitable access globally to COVID-19 vaccines, a week after the deadline for committing passed.

"We're in discussions with China about the role they may play as we go forward," said Bruce Aylward, WHO senior adviser and head of the ACT-Accelerator programme to back vaccines, treatments and diagnostics against COVID-19.

He confirmed that Taiwan has signed up to the scheme, even though it is not a WHO member, brinRead More – Source

Continue Reading

Trending